Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Taco Salad! (Low Fat, Raw Vegan- translation - Healthy!)

Tonight's supper is a taco salad inspired by Live Love Fruit's Raw Vegan, Low Fat Tacos! 
Click the link for the original recipe here -----> Raw Edible's -Raw Vegan Low Fat Tacos

I've made these twice, and tonight I'm putting a spin on the recipe and turning it into a Taco Salad! The first time I made them I let the zucchini and mushrooms marinate at room temp, and the second time I put them in the dehydrator. I liked them room temperature better and found the dehydrator made the mixture a little watery. So for my Taco Salad I'm letting them marinate on the counter. You can also eat it right away if you don't have any patience like me!


I chopped up some of my favorite taco veggies to go along with my taco 'meat' and tossed them all together in an epic salad! I didn't want it to end. I love finding recipes like this. If you were to ask me if I miss eating anything right now - I'd say no way! I changed the recipe a bit to suit my taste and what I had in my kitchen.

Taco Salad

Taco 'Meat'
1 medium zucchini - chopped into little cubes
1 cup of cremini mushrooms - chopped finely

Taco Dressing
3 medjool dates, soaks in 1/4 cup water for 1/2-1 hour until soft
1 green onion chopped
1 garlic clove
1tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp bell pepper flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp corriander
Juice of 1/2 lime

When the dates are soaked and soft - blend with the water and remaining ingredients. You may need to add more water to make a medium-thick sauce.

Place the zucchini/mushroom mixture in a medium bowl and pour your Taco Dressing over top, stirring to even coat all the veg. Set aside for 30 minutes - a half hour.

While waiting, I washed and chopped up:
- a head of romaine lettuce
- a container of cherry tomatoes
- a red or yellow bell pepper
- two more green onions or red onion

You can also add:
- grated carrot for a 'cheesy' look
- avocado slices
- fresh organic corn

After your marinated zucchini and mushrooms are ready, make your salad to your liking and enjoy your zesty, healthy meal.
Disclaimer: You might not want to share this with others -I ate the whole thing myself and growled at the dogs when they tried to come near!


Lots of sweet fruity love, 
Naturally Ashley
xo

Check out Live Love Fruits Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/livelovefruit?fref=ts

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/naturallyashleynutrition

Subscribe to my YouTube feed:
http://www.youtube.com/user/naturallyashleyNASH




No comments:

Post a Comment