Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Banana Island

I am returning to the beautiful Banana Island tomorrow! The land of pure bliss and abundant energy. Where is Banana Island? In my kitchen! 


What is a Banana Island /or a mono fruit island?

Banana Island describes someone that eats only bananas for a set period of time, I did two weeks in September and plan on doing one week this time around, but I know of people that have done it for a whole month! Banana/or Mono Fruit Island can also be done on other fruit besides bananas like peaches, mango, grapes, watermelons, persimmons, etc. My sister did a mono fruit island in the fall, picking one different type of fruit each day: 

Day1- Bananas, Day 2- Peaches, Day 3- Grapes. 

The idea is to pick one fruit for the duration of your challenge.  I choose bananas  because they are fast, cheap and easy! Haha. It's pretty easy to find bananas at he grocery store, and you can order them in by the case, it doesn't take much to prepare them and they are probably the least expensive of all fruits. I also like bananas because I feel they are the most versatile, offering me a variety of banana meals to get through my week. (Watch for my upcoming post on how to make 5 different banana meals, using only bananas!)

     How Does it Work?

You choose your fruit and go stock up! You are going to need plenty of whatever fruit you are eating in your house I have purchased two cases of organic bananas already, I got one last week and they are nice and ripe, and I get the other case on Friday! How much fruit you need will depend on how long you choose to stay on the island. I suggest a minimum of one week. I did two weeks my first time and it was great! (I bought 4 cases for two weeks)

Once you have an abundance of ripe fruit you can begin. Eat as many bananas as you like for breakfast dinner and supper. Only Bananas. This can be anywhere from 22-30 bananas in general. If you choose another fruit, make sure it's a sweet fruit like the ones mentioned above and try to get in around 2000-3000 calories a day, depending on your activity level. You can use chronometer online or a download a calorie counter app to your phone! 

I cannot stress enough the importance of eating RIPE fruit only!!!!!!! Your bananas must have lots of brown spots and peel very easily. If you hear the zip when peeling, they aren't ripe enough yet. No yellow, and definitely no green bananas. 

Drink plenty of water while on the island. I drink at least two and a half litres a day, and three if I get a lot of exercise. Try to exercise everyday, for at least 30 minutes- an hour, but make sure you also take time to rest and relax as your body detoxes and heals. Also, go to bed early. Sleep is so important when detoxing. 

Why am I doing Banana Island? What are the Benefits? 

I am going to Banana Island as a cleanse to detox my body from the cooked food I have been eating over the past two and a half months. I feel best eating my fruity raw diet and would like to get back to that way of living. Cravings get in the way and Banana Island will be like hitting the reset button, making it easier to control my cravings once I am done. We are literally what we eat. The food we consume becomes us - our cells, hair, skin, organs, tissue, etc. Banana Island allow our bodies to go into a detoxification. If the harmful foods you crave aren't in your body, you wont crave it. Especially SALT! 

Let's talk about weight loss. Some people loose weight on banana island. I am sure to loose a couple pounds just from eliminating salt alone. Last time, I stayed the same weight, but my body looked leaner, tighter and fitter. I made sure that I exercised every day and the amazing thing that happened was a very speedy recovery time. I could run for 6K a day plus yoga and not be stiff and sore the next day. Bananas give you an incredible amount of energy! You will be be able to get through your day no problem. 

Banana Island gives your digestive system a break. Fresh RIPE fruit is the easiest food for your body to digest, spending little time in the stomach. Therefore it takes up little energy, allowing our bodies the time and energy they need to spend healing and detoxing. Also, when you only eat one type of fruit, it enhances this experience even more. One ingredient is digested more efficiently than several.  

I am looking forward to the blissfulness of Banana Island. I was so happy the last time I went. It was like I was on cloud nine the entire time. Bananas are great for helping with depression and are wonderful mood boosters. I just couldn't stop smiling. I also felt mental and emotional clarity which is another benefit. 

The main reason I am interested in doing this is to gain more awareness. Your body is amazing and knows way more than you think it does. If you can learn to listen to it, you can achieve perfect health. Banana Island enhances your intuitive ability to listen to your body's needs. As I slowly add food back in at the end I will pay close attention to the things that disagree with me. Also, fruits and veggies will taste better. I couldn't believe all the flavor that was in an apple when I re-introduced them into my diet after BI.  

By only eating one food/ingredient you will be more aware of when you are satiated. The bananas will loose their taste and it will be easy to learn how to tell when you are truly full. 


Try to eat as clean as you can before you travel to Banana Island. No alcohol or animal products for several days prior. And eat as much fresh raw fruits and veggies as you can. It is ideal (but not essential) to be eating a lowfat raw vegan diet beforehand, but if you cannot, at least try to cut out meat and dairy products. 


**Side note: Organic vs Non-Organic Bananas. I strongly suggest spending the money to buy the organic bananas, especially if Del Montes are your only option for conventional bananas. There's something about them that doesn't digest well with myself and others I have talked to from the island. I did my first six days on organic last time, and when I switched to conventional Del Montes, I noticed an immediate difference in my digestion for the worst. Plus, you don't want to counter your bodies detoxing abilities by feeding yourself more chemicals and pesticides. I was shocked because I assumed that the banana peel was thick enough to block the fruit's absorption of these harmful sprays. 

I am so EXCITED to start tomorrow and share my experience with you. Follow my progress here on my Blog and at Naturally Ashley on Facebook!

Peace, love and lots of bananas! 

xoxo

** I got most of my information from Freelee at:

 30 Bananas a Day

as well as Food N Sport, Dr Doug Graham:

Food N Sport

and from all the wonderful friends I met at the 2012

  Woodstock Fruit Festival 







9 comments:

  1. banana cleanse, eh? I do Stanley burrough's lemonade cleanse some springs and falls (when I'm not pregnant or breastfeeding!!) I feel like I need a cleanse, but I am nursing a baby right now, so might just do a half cleanse of sorts. or a raw fruit n veg cleanse... i am inspired at any rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Raw fruit and veggie cleanse would be great! Thank you for your comment! So happy to share with you Erin!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of choosing a different fruit each day. Think I am gonna go for this. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is my first day ever on banana island!!! Loved (re)reading this post for a bit of extra inspiration :) Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH! Exciting Chelsey!! Lots of fruit-loving luck being sent your way!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Ashley! Very detailed and well explained. I'm currently on banana island (day 6) and I'm loving it! I'm going to be writing a post on my blog about my experience on banana island. I'm going to link this post and a few other of your posts about bananas on my blog.

    I love your blog, BTW, and your recipes are RAWESOME!! Yu totally rock! Keep being an inspiration, Ashley! :)

    xoxo
    Miliany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can i do a dual fruit island (bananas & dates) and still get the same benefits?

    thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wanted to know whether i can really loose weight by doing this diet...coz am much more obese and my weight is 87..i want to reduce atlest 2-4 kgs on this diet..will it happen??

    ReplyDelete